Monday, September 22, 2008

On a cold winter day

many years ago, my dad went snowmobiling. Also on this day he rolled his snowmobile as he went over a cliff camouflaged in snow. His legs ripped the handle bars off the snowmobile and sent him flying. He wasn't conscious so he got to ride off the mountain in that fun thing we call Life Flight. After receiving the fateful call, his lovely 16 year old daughter got to go in the trauma room as soon as he arrived at the hospital. BIG MISTAKE. I don't think I have ever witnessed anything worse than my dad lying there all torn up, swollen, bloody and completely out of it. The white floor tiles began spinning, and just in time the kind nurse came to my side so I didn't fall to the floor. She escorted me out and said I could see him later. Good plan. My dad had a rough road to recovery, but after some surgeries and a few months, he was doing much better.

Well this past weekend was a much milder event, but I am confident I am not cut out to be in the medical field. We were all watching the Utah game and his hand got completely bent forward to the inside of his wrist (long story). He fell to the ground in excruciating pain, then a few minutes later we stood him up to put some ice on it. Bad idea. Not a minute later he completely passed out. I was completely freaked out to put it lightly. His eyes rolled back in his head and he was a goner. We tried talking to him and moving him a little, but nothing. I didn’t know if we needed an ambulance and it was the scariest few minutes I have experienced since that fateful snowmobiling day. Now for you smart people, you know this is fairly natural given the pain, the body goes into shock. In the moment John described it as his brain shutting down. I know this isn't exactly what he meant, and it just freaked me out even more as he was lying there. As soon as he started to come to a bit, I was free to take my shaking self upstairs to puke :) We then took him to the hospital for some pain pills, x-rays and eventually a cast. Glad you're feeling a little better dad...don't EVER do anything like that again (as if you had a choice) :)

No comments: